First, remember that registration and renewals in the System for Award Management (www.SAM.gov) is ALWAYS free!
That being said, there are several legal, for-profit companies with slick, official-looking advertising campaigns that market to small business to either register or renew your profile in SAM for a fee. While this is a legal service, they often look deceptively close to true government notices and can apply high pressure sales tactics. PTACs across the country work together to keep up to date on the latest campaigns, so that we can be prepared to answer our clients questions on their veracity.There are a couple of new marketing developments in the ever evolving field of “for-profit” contracting assistance.
- They’ve added “gov” to their email address.
- Their language: “Click here to continue to accept federal payments,”is not exactly right; SAM registration allows the government to pay vendors electronically.
- This language: “Fail to renew your Registration, and the government will place your business on the federal watch list ….”is incorrect—there is no such thing!
- This language: “You are receiving this notice because you are a Verified Vendor,”may be confusing. That’s their term, not the government’s.
- Located “sources sought” and “overdue” contract opportunities
- Match up with federal orders that require your products or services now
- Sit back, relax, and watch the orders come to you. Be ready to fill them!
It is important to remember that these are legal companies and that folks are free to avail themselves of their services if you find a value to them. Just be aware that everything they offer is available for free elsewhere and that if you do need assistance, Native PTAC is here for you!